WIPO: China again leads IP filings
On 3 December 2018, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) published its annual report on World Intellectual Property Indicators 2018 (WIPI). The report analyzes the IP activity around the world in the previous year 2017 and gives an insight on the overall number of filings, registrations and maintenance of trademarks, patents, utility models and designs.
As in the year 2016, China remained the overall leader according to volume of applications for all intellectual property rights. The highest growth of filing activity was then monitored in the field of trademark applications, when in just one year the number grew from 9.77 million to 12.39 million trademark filings.
Trademarks – overall number of filings in 2017: 12.387.600
- China: 5.739.823
- U.S.: 613.921
- Japan: 560.269
The most trademark applications were accounted in Asia with 66,6 %. Europe´s share fell to 17,7 %, third is a combined share of Africa, Latin America, Caribbean and Oceania with 9,2 % and the last is North America with 6,4 %.
In 2017, most of the trademark applications were sought for the field of advertising and business management. The second most “common class” of application was clothing, then computers/software and instruments and then followed by the education and entertainment sector.
Patents – overall number of filings in 2017: 3.168.900
- China: 1.381.594
- U.S.: 606.956
- Japan: 318.479
Utility models – overall number of filings in 2017: 1.761.200
- China: 1.687.593
- Germany: 13.301
- Russian Federation: 10.643
Industrial designs – overall number of filings in 2017: 1.242.100
- China: 628.658
- EUIPO: 111.021
- Republic of Korea: 67.357
For the whole report and rankings for 2017, please click here.
- "Neuschwanstein" is not a trademark!
- 1 December 2017: Madrid Monitor takes its place as the one and only tool for tracking international trademarks
- 100th Anniversary of Bavaria (Germany) - A glance at trademarks, start-ups, innovation & events
- 14 June 2013: Munich Patent Law Conference - Calculating Damages in Patent Infringement Cases
- 2014: Statistics for Community Trademarks
- 27 June 2014: Munich Patent Law Conference – Burden of Pleading and Proof in Patent Infringement Cases
- 3D-Trademark Protection for layout of Apple Stores
- 40th Anniversary of the European Patent Convention (EPC)
- A case of „Bounty“ hunting in Germany
- A new report on the economic impact of counterfeit trade published by OECD and EUIPO