Celebrate the World Intellectual Property Day on 26 April 2022 with LexDellmeier!
Every year on the 26 April, we celebrate the World Intellectual Property Day to draw attention to the important role of intellectual property rights (IP). This year, the official theme is “IP and Youth: Innovating for a Better Future” and aims to honor the innovations and creativity led precisely by young people!
Source: WIPO - official picture of this year´s theme
I. History of the World Intellectual Property Day
The World Intellectual Property Day (WIPD) has already a long history as it has been celebrated for over 22 years! However, the date of WIPD has not been chosen randomly – as the 26 April is the day on which the WIPO Convention came into force in 1970. And later in 2000, the WIPO´s member states set this very day as a day designated to bring attention to intellectual property rights and increase the general understanding about them.
Since then, on 26 April each year, we honor the contribution of IP rights in fostering technological and artistic innovations as well as their role in our everyday lives and businesses.
II. About this year´s theme
The theme of 2022 “IP and Youth: Innovating for a Better Future” is focused on the work of young innovators. Across the globe, young people are stimulating the innovation by using their energy and curiosity to navigate us to a better future. So, in order to give these young creators a platform to raise awareness about their contributions, the WIPO has started a campaign to promote and celebrate their work on its website. There you can now learn about all the innovative and aspiring projects focused on improvement in the field of environment, health, communications, or research.
The list of the nominees is very diverse. To name just a few – you can for example learn about a bioengineer from Spain who created the first prosthetic arm made from LEGO, a French Start-Up turning CO2 into a resource or a young CEO of a company providing a mobile app that connects patients with healthcare providers in Uganda.
You can read about all the projects of this year´s nominees here: https://www.wipo.int/ip-outreach/en/ipday/2022/youth-gallery.html
III. Nominate young innovators yourself!
Now, you can also be an active part of the celebration by nominating someone that you think deserves the recognition! If you know some young innovators whose work is dedicated to creating a better future, do not hesitate to promote and praise their work by sharing their story with the world by sending an email to WordIPDay@wipo.int.
For more information about the World Intellectual Property Day of 2022, please visit WIPO´s official website: https://www.wipo.int/ip-outreach/en/ipday/. Further, we would also like to thank WIPO for the possibility to use the great graphical toolkit which offices and law firms are allowed to use while promoting the WIPD.
- 1 December 2017: Madrid Monitor takes its place as the one and only tool for tracking international trademarks
- 1 January 2020 - Changes in Classifications - Trademarks, Designs, Patents and Utility Models
- 100th Anniversary of Bavaria (Germany) - A glance at trademarks, start-ups, innovation & events
- 10th Anniversary Edition - 10 Things to Know about LexDellmeier - Past, Present & Future
- A new legal EU framework regulating Artificial Intelligence
- Another year older…
- António Campinos will be the new EPO President from June 2018
- Arguments gone with the wind: the EGC upholds a decision concerning a potential one-letter “e” mark
- At a glance: Higher Regional Court Frankfurt a.M. rules on international competence of German courts for adverts on the Internet (Decision 6 U 3/18 of 14 February 2019)
- BREXIT - Webinar on Legal Changes in EU Trademark and Design Law as of 1 January 2021