Webinar 5 - Brand Value and Financial Instruments – Presentation and YouTube
On Wednesday, 17 June 2020, LexDellmeier held its fifth webinar on the topic “Brand Value and Financial Instruments”. During a 30 minutes discussion, Alexandra and Oliwia outlined the concepts of “brand valuation” and “brand evaluation” and explained how the economic value of a brand is assessed. If you missed the webinar, don’t worry – we recorded it and published on YouTube! As usual, you’ll find the link in the post below.
You might have heard that in 2020 Amazon - the world’s most valuable brand - exceeded US$ 200 billion value mark. But have you ever wondered where this number comes from? Or in other words, how the economic value of a brand is assessed?
Well, the starting point is that in the past 10 – 15 years businesses have seen a fundamental shift in the sources of value creation from their tangible assets to their intangible assets, namely intellectual property (brand). As a result, it became more important than ever to develop some objective standards according to which the value of brands could be assessed.
This task was undertaken by ISO – International Organization for Standardization, which is a non-governmental body that aims to facilitate world trade by providing common international standards for goods and services. Although mostly known for regulating things such as the shape of phone plugs or size of paper sheets, it also set standards for brand valuation (ISO 10668) and brand evaluation (ISO 20671). These two standards include inter alia guidelines as to what financial and non-financial methods should be used in the process of brand valuation and brand evaluation in order to achieve an objective assessment of a brand’s economic performance.
So, if you want to learn more about brand valuation and brand evaluation, understand the benefits of these two processes, and find out why people buy Coca Cola even though they actually prefer the taste of Pepsi, make sure to watch our Webinar! We also encourage you to take a look at the reports that we used as information sources, in particular the INTA Brand Value Special Task Force Report 2020 and PWC Brand Surveys 2012 (English) & 2019 (German). You’ll find the links to both of them at the end of our PowerPoint presentation.
PowerPoint presentation to download (PDF):
Link to the recording on YouTube:
Content of the webinar “Brand Value and Financial Instruments”:
- What is the economic value of a trademark?
- Assessing the value of a brand
- Key definitions
- International Organization for Standardization -Overview
- ISO Standards
- Brand valuation
- Financial instruments
- Brand evaluation
- Framework & Importance
- Case Studies
- 1 December 2017: Madrid Monitor takes its place as the one and only tool for tracking international trademarks
- 1 January 2020 - Changes in Classifications - Trademarks, Designs, Patents and Utility Models
- 100th Anniversary of Bavaria (Germany) - A glance at trademarks, start-ups, innovation & events
- 10th Anniversary Edition - 10 Things to Know about LexDellmeier - Past, Present & Future
- A new legal EU framework regulating Artificial Intelligence
- All these small Gimmicks – Trademark Infringement?
- Another year older…
- António Campinos will be the new EPO President from June 2018
- Arguments gone with the wind: the EGC upholds a decision concerning a potential one-letter “e” mark
- At a glance: Higher Regional Court Frankfurt a.M. rules on international competence of German courts for adverts on the Internet (Decision 6 U 3/18 of 14 February 2019)