Christmas – A festival of trademarks
December 17, 2014
17. December 2014 - 17:44
Christmas is a time for tranquility, contemplation and the family. But, it is also a time of consumption: Many people receive a 13th salary or holiday bonus which they spend on presents, decoration and at Christmas markets. Approx 20% of the trades revenue is generated on and around Christmas. Therefore, companies try to “trademark” Christmas. As a result of that, competition is fierce during the holiday season. The office responsible for the registrations of trademarks in the EU, OHIM, reports numerous registered trademarks that incorporate “Christmas”. For example, HELLO SANTA (USPTO: Serial No.: 78655862) for toy telephones designed to simulate calls to Santa Clause in the North Pole; THE CHRISTMAS FACTORY (OHIM: CTM No.: 008726101) for Christmas decoration; the movie heading THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (OHIM: CTM No.: 004601183) and WHITE CHRISTMAS (OHIM: CTM No.: 012140794). Below you can see some further holiday season word / device marks: OHIM: CTM No.: 004586863; OHIM: CTM No.: 003362845; OHIM: CTM No.: 012063624 But, there are also many Christmas combinations which were not able to be registered as trademarks: For example, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) decided “MERRY CHRISTMAS” (Serial No. 78161138) for non-alcoholic juice beverages is not distinctive and gives no indication for the origin of the product. The Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) refused, for similar reasons, the applications "CHRISTMAS BLEND" (CTMA No.: 000595140) for coffee and “Silent night holy night - the Christmas concert” (CTMA No.: 006442487) for picture and audio carriers. Therefore, it is important to think and plan a “Christmas Trademark” carefully. Not every name is protectable as a trademark. And, the question always remains, how far does its protection in case of infringement reach.
- "Neuschwanstein" is not a trademark!
- 1 December 2017: Madrid Monitor takes its place as the one and only tool for tracking international trademarks
- 1 January 2020 - Changes in Classifications - Trademarks, Designs, Patents and Utility Models
- 100th Anniversary of Bavaria (Germany) - A glance at trademarks, start-ups, innovation & events
- 10th Anniversary Edition - 10 Things to Know about LexDellmeier - Past, Present & Future
- 14 June 2013: Munich Patent Law Conference - Calculating Damages in Patent Infringement Cases
- 15 Top Brands - Interactive Brand Rating - Years 2000 - 2018
- 2014: Statistics for Community Trademarks
- 27 June 2014: Munich Patent Law Conference – Burden of Pleading and Proof in Patent Infringement Cases
- 3D-Trademark Protection for layout of Apple Stores