QUESTION: What is worth more than gold and diamonds in these economic still turbulent times?
ANSWER: Intellectual Property (IP) Rights - including trademarks, designs, utility models & patents.
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) just recently published its World IP Indicator 2011 Report.
Fact is, that Intellectual Property (IP) Rights have experienced a growth rate that is breathtaking.
- Patent filings grew by 7.2%
- Trademark filings grew even more so by 11,8%
in 2010 - compared to a 5.1% increase in global gross domestic product (GDP).
The growth comes from the larger IP offices around the world - the number one being
1. China with an increase of 24.3%, followed by
2. the European Patent Office (EPO) with an increase of 12.2%,
3. Singapore at 11.9%, followed by
4. the Russian Federation at 10.2%.
Special Highlight: TRADEMARKS - Germans file largest number worldwide
The year 2010 brought about the largest growth at an increase of 11.8% in trademark applications and an increase of 21.4% in trademark registrations worldwide. An estimated 3.66 million applications were filed globally, whereas, WIPO reports that Germans filed the most.
For more details see: Highlights WIPO IP Indicator Report
For statistical overviews, charts etc. broken down by IP Rights, countries etc. see: Statistics
The whole report with great and detailed information can be found at: Full WIPO IP Indicator Report 2011
- "Neuschwanstein" is not a trademark!
- 14 June 2013: Munich Patent Law Conference - Calculating Damages in Patent Infringement Cases
- 15 Top Brands - Interactive Brand Rating - Years 2000 - 2018
- 2014: Statistics for Community Trademarks
- 27 June 2014: Munich Patent Law Conference – Burden of Pleading and Proof in Patent Infringement Cases
- 3D-Trademark Protection for layout of Apple Stores
- 40th Anniversary of the European Patent Convention (EPC)
- A case of „Bounty“ hunting in Germany
- A new report on the economic impact of counterfeit trade published by OECD and EUIPO
- Adidas officially earning its stripes